How to Join
AWJ Membership Benefits
- Free admission to most AWJ programs and deep discounts on workshops.
We usually conduct five programs each year, on topics ranging from
journalistic ethics to new technology in reporting. Everyone pays
something for the new hands-on tech workshops, but members pay a lot
- Admission to the members-only annual picnic, a feast among colleagues and an opportunity to make connections with others in Chicago's journalism community.
- Listing in the AWJ Members Directory, which offers contact information for networking with other members. The membership directory is only made available to other members and not the general public.
- Opportunity for involvement in the AWJ Mentoring Program and AWJ's Scholarship program and other fundraising opportunities to support women and journalism students.
- Inclusion on our Books by Members page if you wrote, edited or published a book.
- Opportunities to participate in AWJ projects such as research on the role
of women in Chicago media, the Young Critics Circle mentoring program
and other committees.
- Involvement in awarding grants from the AWJ Scholarship Fund, which supports women journalism students.
- Connecting online: The AWJ listserv shares job information and promotes conversation between members and non-members alike. We're on Twitter @AWJ_Chicago and AWJ Facebook fan page, too.